The Maelstrom X7 follows 4Seven's design philosophy of "function over form." From the start, the X7 was conceived with these basic goals:
- One-inch weapon mountable body
- Most advanced LEDs and optics
- Bright, far-projecting solution in a compact, rugged package.
- Highly efficient, top-binned CREE emitter
- Fine-tuned deep, smooth reflector
- Useful range of over 100 meters
- Waterproof to IPX-8 standard: 1 meter, 30 minutes
- Seven versatile modes of output are easily accessible by simply rotating the head. A completely silent 4-point switch allows selecting through the modes without detection, ideal for tactical situations. The seven modes are split into two sets. The most commonly used modes of output are placed as the first two positions (tight and immediately loosened) for both sets of modes: High/Strobe, and High/Medium.
- Generous knurling throughout the surface of the entire light ensures confident grip even in the messiest of situations.
- Removable grip ring, clip, and crenated stainless steel strike bezel. A flat-black aluminum bezel and grip ring replacement are included.
- Shock-mounted battery design holds the batteries firmly inside to the body of the light, avoiding self-destructive battery movement. The light is ready to be weapon mounted.
- Patent-pending anti-rattle design that accomodates both 2xCR123A and 1x18650 without the need of spacers or adapters.
- Custom molded holster shaped for the X7 is included. This holster is designed to help retain the light even when flap is open.
- A tactical 'clicky' switch is fully exposed in the tailcap for easy access, even when wearing gloves.
- Length: 6.0 in
- Body Diameter: 1.0 in
- Head Diameter: 1.5 in
- Weight (w/o batteries): 5.1 oz
- Power: (1) 18650 or (2) CR123A batteries (18650 button-top cells only)
- Operating Range: 2.7V~12V
Typical Output and Runtimes
- Moonlight: 0.3 lumens, 6 days
- Low: 30 lumens, 21 hours
- Medium: 270 lumens, 2.8 hours
- High: 480 lumens, 1.3 hours
- Strobe (10hz, 480 lumens): 2.5 hours
- S.O.S.: 4.5 hours
- Beacon: 12 hours
The X7 features a unique 4-point switch engagement in the head of the flashlight that lets you select the different outputs smoothly and silently by simply loosening or tightening the head. Every quarter-turn (approximately 90 degrees) of the head selects a different output. As you loosen or tighten the head, you change modes as follows (in order of Loosened to Tightened): Off, Auxiliary 2, Auxiliary 1, Secondary, Primary.
The X7's 8 total modes of output are split into 2 sets, Regular and Special. The following are the modes in order from Auxiliary 2 to Primary (Loosened to Tightened):
- Regular: Moonlight, Low, Medium, High
- Special: Beacon, S.O.S., Strobe, High
As you can see, switching between the modes in a set is very simple - you just tighten or loosen the head to get to your desired mode.
Switching between sets is also simple. Fully tighten the head of the flashlight so that you are in the Primary mode. Then, quickly loosen and tighten the head (switching between Secondary and Primary) 4 times to change to the alternative set of modes.